30 November 2011

"I'm not Black Like Barry White, no I am White Like Frank Black is." - Bloodhound Gang

If the title was confusing (blame the Bloodhound Gang), today's theme is black and white (B&W).  This seemed easy enough in theory to tackle, but as I found out, the lack of color really requires you to think a bit more about your shot.  Because of this, I relied on a bit of advice recently given to me saying "a good photo captures a moment, a great photo makes you see what the photographer saw, and the best do both simultaneously" - J.  Contrast seemed to be a key element in realizing a good B&W and I struggled to find it initially, but as time drew on I was able to snap some photos that turned out alright.  As I read about best practices for B&W, I interestingly found that shooting in RAW and color was ideal and then convert to B&W during post processing.  Since I am new to the game I stuck to JPEG, but still shot in color and used Aperture for B&W post processing.

ISO 100, 50mm, 0EV, f/2, 1/1600
ISO 100, 50mm, f/1.4, 1/1600
ISO 100, 50mm. 0EV, f/1.4, 1/4000



Lessons Learned:
  • Contrast baby!
  • Shoot in color and RAW and convert to B&W later.

    2 comments:

    1. Love the B&W photo's. Gets you to think about the content, the feeling of the image. It evokes a more somber note when looking at the images.

      ReplyDelete
    2. Thanks Ed. I found it to be much tougher to find a subject when shooting B&W, I had to think a bit more about the "feeling" as opposed to rely on "looks" alone. Thanks for the feedback.

      ReplyDelete